Conversion Experience
As a motorist in the KW region, I have frequently been frustrated by the expansion of the bicycle trail system. I felt our streetscape was skewed in favour of cyclists, and I didn’t like it. I wondered who even uses these empty trails and bike routes. What a waste of resources. Often, I was impatient with cyclists sharing the road with me. I was possessive and greedy for open bike-free roads.
Things changed; my attitude shifted as, with retirement, I bought an e-bike. Not a purest at heart, I did start to get out on those contested trails more often and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Recently, a friend with much more biking experience took me on an enlightening 30 km bike tour through Waterloo into Kitchener, with a loop back home. At some points, riding a bike at a different speed and from a different perspective, I rediscovered the city. I confess that at times I didn’t even know where I was as I explored by bike, as if seeing parts of the city for the first time. The trails were not empty. There was a constant flow of bikes and pedestrians as we moved about the cities. People were going to work, exercising, being active, and enjoying themselves.
Now, as a motorist, I am more mindful, less judgmental, and very welcoming of the amazing bike system we are blessed with in our region. I’ve been educated and have transitioned to enjoyment.
Marty Rempel

No comments:
Post a Comment